We are a faith based organization committed to the prevention and reduction of domestic violence through a program of intervention and education. Sanctuary Zone’s mission and goal is to empower victims of Domestic Violence and their children, by meeting their needs to recover, heal, and become self-reliant citizens. While providing a safe place to stay during recovery, our clients will have the opportunity to receive counseling and other services to help sustain their families. We can assist in revealing to our clients the value of life by addressing the issues of the complete person: spiritually, educationally, socially, economically, and physically. These values will be met to teach them that mutual respect should be granted to all regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, political, or religious preference. In an environment that nurtures the values of accountability and healthy relationships, it is our desire to improve our clients’ abilities to seek employment, break the cycle of violence and instill the knowledge that no one deserves to be abused nor has the right to abuse. As abused women reclaim their lives free of fear and violence, they break the cycle of abuse and the community as a whole benefits.
The Sanctuary Zone began its dreaming with a group of concerned citizens wanting to do just that. On August 11, 2002 we sat down as a group to figure out just what we could accomplish. Even though some of the dream has changed and shifted over the course of this journey the ultimate goal of helping victims, not be victims anymore, is still our goal. Our history is:
- October 4, 2002 we were approved for our 501c3
- May of 2004 land was donated to us for the safe house
- September 2004 our resource building (you know it as the Madrid Building) was completed
- November 2004 we started working on the smaller building for the safe house
- May 2006 we opened the Zone store to help bring in money to continue all our building needs
- October of 2015 we opened the doors to our shelter in order to start accepting families in need